[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC supply

Subject:
        DC supply
  Date:
        Sat, 29 Mar 97 10:56:40 EST
  From:
        tweagan-at-maind.dnet.dupont-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Chuck

You wrote:

(snip)
<Another question.
<Why is a synchronous, rotary, gap called that way?
<My studies indicate that the best time to fire the gap is at the peak
of
<the AC waveform, to transfer the max energy.  How is this accomplished
<when you have a rotating gap that is started (the motor that is) at we
<don't know when, on the AC waveform?  Or do we have something that does
<"synchronize" the firing of the gap with the peak of the AC waveform.

<The two questions do relate, for me.  If I use a DC power supply (full
<wave rectification actually) how will a fire the gap appropriatly

<Thanks in advance.

<Chuck

The rotation of the disc connected to the motor shaft is synchronized
with the 60Hz of the mains by using a motor that has been altered so
that
it will always lock into the same point on the sine wave when running.
Many people run asynchronous or, you guessed it, not synchronized.The
benefit here is that an off the shelf motor can be used without
modification.

Use of a DC supply for your coil demands the use of a rotary.Without
the action of the electrodes moving;which elongates, cools, and quenches
the arc, the plasma created upon the firing of the gap would just keep
burning until something melts.

Sounds like a good supply.

Tom