[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How do I hook up my scope w/o frying it?

        Re: How do I hook up my scope w/o frying it?
  Date:
        Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:28:53 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 11:44 PM 3/27/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Subject:
>           How do I hook up my scope w/o frying it?
>      Date:
>           Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:12:02 GMT
>      From:
>           xtal-at-airmail-dot-net (David Christal)
>        To:
>           Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>I'd like to see some waveforms from my 12kx60ma 6" coil but I don't
>know how to insure that I don't fry my scope.
>
>>From what I've seen so far, even if I turn it on from the next room,
>if it didn't blow, I'd be looking at waveforms. :)
>
>While we're on the subject, (I know I was warned), I leave my PC
>running about 50 feet (3 rooms) away and on different circuits. If the
>mouse is on a metal surface, it dies & I have to reboot to get it
>back.  If it's on the mouse pad, no harm occurs.  I'm just wondering
>the path the current is taking.  (50 feet through the slab, up through
>the metal desk,  through the mouse, to electrical chassis ground?)
>
>Thanking you all in advance,
>

>David Christal 3341 Cloverdale Lane, Dallas, TX  75234
>214 349-6972 (214 FIX MY PC) (Pool Cues and Personal Computers)
>
>David,

A simple whip antenna of about 18-30" will pick up the coils output in
the
next room and you can view it there.

The metal suface under the mouse is acting as an antenna plane which
couples
to the mouse and jams the CPU.  You are fortunate you still have a
computer.

Richard Hull, TCBOR