[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Chokes

  Date:
        Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:56:47 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<
 I need some current limiting for my 16,800. watt transformer.  Will
 choke
 transformers work in place of an Arc Welder?  I have a Lincoln welder I
 can
 use but I found several very large choke transformers at the scrap yard
 today. The smallest one is wound with #6 square copper wire.  There are
 several of these large chokes. 3 small ones, 2 medium size and one
large
 one
 that probably weighs about 400 lbs.  Will these work for TC current
 limiting?

 Gary Weaver

Gary,

I would they would work fine.  It would be nice to know what their
inductance
is before buying them.  I think we figured a variable inductor of 5 to
25 mh
was a good range.  At least with the welder, you can vary the inductance
change the primary current into the transformer.

Ed Sonderman