[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spare magnetron

  Date:
        Fri, 28 Mar 1997 06:56:00 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Robert W. Stephens, All,
How do you get the glue off?
I have heard that these can
be used in pulse mode to
trigger a spark gap switch.
Ever try that?
Barry

        Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:37:10 -0500
  From:
        "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>

>   From:
>         Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
>     To:
>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> I dismantled a microwave oven to get the transformer (2200v 600W)
> as part of 3 or 4 i'll put in series for a tesla coil supply.
> at the moment i have the transformer and the magnetron.
> has anyone got an idea what i could do with these at the moment ?
> the transformer, i'll keep for the TC but what to do with
> the magnetron ?
> ----------------------------
> Kenneth Aaron
> E-mail : kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com
> http://www.geocities-dot-com/SunsetStrip/8736/
> ----------------------------

Kenneth,

A microwave oven magnetron, dead or alive is a good source for a pair
of terrific fridge magnets.  I've done this.

You can use that magnetron to cook food with and reheat leftovers.
This is in fact one of the best applications for one of those tubes.
I've done this.

They can be used with a large backyard satellite dish to bounce a
radar signal off the moon and with the right sensitive equipment,
receive an echo.  I've done this.

There are some star wars type E.W. applications possible but unless you
have extensive microwave power experience, they can be very dangerous
to attempt and are NOT RECOMMENDED.  I've thought about this.

rwstephens