[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: caps

  Date:
        Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:56:47 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<
 Ok, I'm going to build the 'six pack' bottle capacitors.
 If I use those plastic coca-cola bottles, would they work well,
 I mean instead of glass bottles ?
 Plastic is much easier to handle, is lighter, less danger if it
 explodes,
 and has a much larger volume than glass bottles.
 what do you think ?

 question #2 -
 a neon sign xfrmr of 1.5kw costs about 250$ here. if i use 3
 transformers
 salvaged from microwave ovens - connected in series, would this
 work ? the power of each is around 800W and the voltage is 2200v.

I think I have read on this list that the plastic bottles are too thin
and
are prone to failure.  You may need to use glass bottles.

On the microwave oven transformers, I remember there being some problem
with
one leg of the high voltage windings tied to the core.  If you can
isolate
that lead, you can connect them in series.  Remember the cores will now
be
hot.  You should probably submerge them in oil.

Ed Sonderman