[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Small scale coils

Subject:
        Small scale coils
  Date:
        Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:16:27 -0600
  From:
        Kerry Ludwig <kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

After being on this list for sometime now... I've developed a growing
interest in twin-coil systems as well as maggies.

Does the maggie design work well on a small scale such as a table top
size
coil?  Say maybe less than 1kw? Would a neon survive the strong
coupling? I
would like to build a functional model for just experimenting with. It
does
not have to be a spectacular performer. Just a working model.

It seems that all mentions I have seen on twin coil systems are of two
2-coil systems running out-of-phase.  What about a maggie with two extra
coils?  (One fed off each end of the secondary with primary centered,
similar to a bi-polar setup.)

Just more of my musings...

(BTW I've got a piece of PVC pipe 13.75" o.d. X 106" that is just
waiting to
be cut in half and made until a twin coil, as soon as dollars will
allow!)

Kerry "Kilroy" Ludwig
Kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com