[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2 wires

Subject:
        2 wires
  Date:
        Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:11:28 -0800
  From:
        Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I just talked to a friend that is a Professor at the local University.
He said he had a student that built a Tesla Coil as a class
project a few years ago.  The student wound the secondary coil with 2
wires in parallel.  The wires were #24 solded together
at both ends and both wound on the PVC pipe together side by side.

#24 wire is .0201 diameter.  This would be equal in width to #18 wire
.043 diameter.  Two #24 wires in parallel would be
equal to one #21 wire in circular mil area.  Two #24 wires in parallel
would be equal to one #21 in wire resistance.  Within less
than 1%.

Has anyone tried this?

This would make the coil longer and may be a disadvantage because of the
diameter to length ratio.

This gives me an idea.  What if I were to wind a coil with #24 wire then
wind another coil right over the 1st coil and connect
them both in parallel.  This would make the diameter to length ratio
smaller.

Has anyone tried this or know if will work?

Gary Weaver