[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Ignitron

        Re: Dr. Resonance
  Date:
        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 03:40:28 -0700
  From:
        "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:
        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: Barry Benson

The current price on type 7703 (type we used) is around $950.00.  We
bought
3 last summer for an exploding wire project and that is the price on
July
96.

Circuit is simple -- replace the sparkgap with an ignitron and use the
ignitron to switch the energy through the cap to ground (one end
grounded
system).  Max firing on the 7703 is around 10 pps with a .05 MFD cap at
15
KV peak.  Your idea would work with a water cooled ignitron but you are
talking some serious money for one of those -- around $2500 I believe.

We used a 1 MEG 2 KW resistor in series to limit firing to around 1
pulse
every 2 seconds.

A full write-up of this circuit was printed in an early edition of the
Tesla Coil Builders Assoc. newsletter.  Ask Harry for the reprint -- he
will know the exact date.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net