[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100

        Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
  Date:
        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:46:20 -0600 (CST)
  From:
        kcravens <kcravens-at-sound-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:43 AM 3/22/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Su Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100bject:
>>         Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
>>   Date:
>>         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:05:35 -0500
>>   From:
>>         "Lord Talimar" <lordtali-at-mill.tds-dot-net>
>>     To:
>>         "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>>

>> According to my C&H catalog, TR9407 "10MFD 660VAC required and included"
>> You might want to call them up and see what is going on.  Also, is 4500VAC
>> enough to work a coil?
>>

>> > I have not yet fired my units. Has anyone?
>> >
>> > Can we find out how much current the units will deliver and at what
>> > voltage? Please, if you have fired one up let us know what you found!!!
>> >
>> > Also, it is quite important to look at the waveform. Is it square,
>> > sinusoidal, or something else.
>> >
>> > Skip

Hey,
I got a couple of those trannys...after readin' some of the concerns
about
them, I thot, well! they're either gonna work or fry..so I hooked one up
replace my 3 9K 60ma neons and fired it up! Nuttin...no fire at the gaps
(stationary 5 gaps) so I shorted out a couple gaps and tried again.
Better
now at 3 gaps, good output (= about 18" where I was gettin' 2' with the
neons) No surprise there...1/2 the volts of the neons. BUT It obviously
didn't quench well as the gaps got very warm quickly,(mucho current) and
made more of that familiar "hissing" sound than the "crackly" sound we
like
to hear :o)  I played around (dinked) with the gaps a while, and got it
work well enuff that I think they'll be GOOD wired together and sunk in
oil.
btw, I didn't use the caps that came with it (basically cause I don't
know
what they are for)
The tranny didn't get warm or smoke, but I only ran a few seconds per
each
adjustment.(vary'n the # of gaps, and the spaces b'tween 'em) I never
got
the gaps to really quench well, but compared to approx. 1620 watts from
the
neons, the 1500 watts from the single "close as I'm gettin' to a
pole-pig"
xformer looked really promising.
 (hope this helps someone)
ken cravens