[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100

        RE: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
  Date:
        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 09:15:20 -0800
  From:
        "Jeff W. Parisse" <jparisse-at-ddlabs-dot-com>
    To:
        "'Tesla List'" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Coilers,

By the time one hooks two (in resonant mode) or four (in non-resonant
mode)
of these transformers up to obtain 10kV -at- 300ma and then soaks them in
oil
to make them last more than a day or two, one must realize that one
could have
opted for a $300 reconditioned pole pig for about the same price, less
headache
and the pig will give YEARS of coiling enjoyment.

I've used five sets of these transformers in three different coils since
1985. When
one reads the specs. one gets very excited. But these transformers were
meant
to power the corona wires on a copier. Hardly much of a load, and very
stable, not
like that of a tank circuit. I'm telling readers to save their money for
a pole pig.
Father Tom, Richard Hull gave me this advice (re: ferro-resonants) about
year ago and I wish I had listened and spent my experimental dollar
learning
more about tuning, coupling and top loading. If I had acted on that
advice, I
would have a pig by now instead of a pile of burnt out ferro-resonant
transformers.

Yes, I used chokes, safety gaps of differing configurations,
disconnecting the
resonant winding, etc. but all to the same eventual end: smoke. If you
can't
afford the three bills for a pole pig, two or three paralleled 60ma.
neons will
last longer.

Jeff W. Parisse, Art Director
Digital Design Labs.