[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sought suppliers of capacitors

  Date:
        Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:17:27 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<
   For many years I have wanted to construct a Tesla coil but I had a
 question that was never really answered and prevented me from going any
 further.  That is where could I get a transformer and capacitor.  The
 closest transformers that I could find were flyback transformers from
 TV.
 I was told these would not work without explanation.  Recently I have
 found
 a person willing to sell/give old transformers from neon signs that he
 has
 removed/replaced.  So, the source for the transformer is perhaps solved
 but
 I still have no idea where to turn other than Information Unlimited for
 the
 capacitors.  The catalogs that I have come no where close to the
ratings
 that several the designs of the Tesla coils seem to call for.  Could
 someone suggest a source for the capacitors and what to perhaps look
out
 for when picking up these used neon sign transformers?

   Thanks.

 ----------
 Kent Vander Velden >>

Kent,

Welcome to the club.  Used neon sign transformers are usually easy to
find.
 Don't call but go visit all the neon sign shops that you can find.  You
will
find someone who has a whole shelf full of used models.  For starting
out, I
would suggest 12 kv or 15 kv at 30 ma.  They should cost no more than
$10 or
$20 each.  If you find some, get at least a couple as they are easy to
kill.

Capacitors are more difficult.  Commercial caps are expensive, costing
from
about $200 to $250.  If you are going to be building a small coil you
will
probably need something in the range of .005 mfd to .01 mfd.  The best
solution is to build a rolled poly cap with aluminum flashing for the
plates.
 Check the ftp site for plans:
http://ftp.funet.fi/ftp/pub/sci/electrical/tesla
I would suggest using three layers of .030 low density polyethylene.
Read
the instructions.  You should be able to build one of these for about
$100 if
memory serves me correctly.

If you decide to do this, let me know and I will help with the design.
We
really need to design the coil before we design the capacitor.  Or you
could
build the same coil that I just built a couple of months ago.  It
produces
about 15" sparks with one 12 kv 30 ma transformer.

Ed Sonderman