[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: loose coupling

  Date:
        Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:41:57 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<< Hello, I am new to the list and am in the process of designing and
 building my first (small) coil and have a couple of questions.

   I am a little puzzled as to why Tesla coils should be loosely
 coupled.  Is
 this due to the high turns ratio (for the extra voltage gain, although,
 as I
 understand it most of the voltage gain is due to the Q of the secondary
 at
 resonance) resulting in a high secondary inductance compared with the
 primary
 or that the degree of flux linkage between the primary and secondary
 should be
 low for some reason?

   I have also found difficulty in finding a good book on Tesla's work,
 could
 anyone recommend a suitable title.

 Thank you in advance, I look forward to receiving your reply(s).

 Rob Davis.

Rob,

You are correct, the high voltage rise is mostly due to resonance.  They
must
be loosly coupled to prevent splitting.  In a quarter wave resonsant
coil,
maximum current is developed at one end (the grounded base) and maximum
voltage is developed at the other.  If the coupling is too tight, the
energy
in the secondary splits and you get maximum voltage nodes at places on
the
secondary other than the top.  This results in spark breakout in the
middle
or upper two thirds of the coil and can destroy the secondary with
enough
power.

Ed Sonderman