[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100

Subject:  Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
Date:     Fri, 14 Mar 1997 00:14:35 -08
From:     Roderick Maxwell <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
To:        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject: Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 06:25:29 -0500 (EST)
> From: tesla-at-america-dot-com (Bob Schumann)
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> [some snip]
>
> >From: "Jeff W. Parisse" <jparisse-at-ddlabs-dot-com>
> >To: "'Tesla List'" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> >These transformers burn out faster than neons. I know, I've eaten through
> several lately.
> >They are OK for small coil work but one is much better off with a true
> plate transformer
> >than these ferro-resonant cheapies.
> >
> >Check out photos of these xformers at www.ddlabs-dot-com/tesla/
> >
> >_______________________
> >Jeff W. Parisse, Art Director
> >Digital Design Labs.
> >
> >jparisse-at-ddlabs-dot-com
> >http://www.ddlabs-dot-com
> >1-800-796-1138
>
> Jeff,
>         I went and looked at the page(s). I have some questions about
> the usage. I saw you using a rotary spark gap, have you ever used these
> transformers with static gaps? Also I saw a picture with what I thought
> were RF chokes. They were white cylindrical objects in the back of the
> box. Are these air core RF chokes? Are these the only chokes you use?
> I would be more apt to use powered iron core, or some form which in the
> end yields a higher inductance. It seems to me that in order for an air
> core RF choke to work, it needs to be a big as a secondary itself. I
> never thought air core chokes provide much protection.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Schumann
>
> tesla-at-america-dot-com
> http:/www.america-dot-com/~tesla

  I ordered ONE today. If it looks like a good buy I'll buy another. You
guys are making me kind of nervous about laying down my hard earned
dollars on on these suckers! I plan to use a RQ spark gap for them
anyway, and chokes wound on ferrite toroid cores with power resistors in
series with the secondaries. I hope they work out okay since I'd like
more power than the little neons I'm using, and I don't have the space
for a pole transformer. How about putting them in a oil tank?

                                Frankensteins Helper
                                       Max