[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100

-- BEGIN included message

From:          Self <Single-user mode>
To:            "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
Subject:       Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
Date:          Wed, 12 Mar 1997 00:12:22 -0500

> From:          "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
> To:            <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject:       10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
> Date:          Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:41:18 -0500

> Fellow Coilers,
> Yes, 10KV RMS -at- 300ma for less than $100 delivered in the USA.
>
> I have run across a transformer that is just about perfect for Tesla Coil
> work, and I want to let you all in on it.
>
> Herbach and Rademan have 100 of these transformers in stock. They are rated
> at 5,000 volts RMS, 300 ma continuous duty. These are *open-frame*
> transformers, absolutely NO tar or anything else to give you problems. Mine
> came with power factor correction capacitors included.
>
> There are current shunts installed... which is actually a *plus*, because
> it means you do not need any reactance added to the primary! If you insist
> on removing the shunts, it is very easy to do so, since it is all open
> frame construction!
>
> The secondary is entirely isolated from the core!
>
> I bought two of these and wired the  primaries in anti-parallel. This makes
> the phase of the two secondaries *opposite*. That allows me to take the
> inner wires of each secondary and wire them together so that the two
> *outer* wires of the secondaries are oppositely phased. In other words, the
> total series output is now 10,000 volts AC RMS (14KV Peak!) at 300 ma. If
> desired, the inner wires of the secondaries can be connected to AC ground,
> so that the electrical stresses are reduced. But if you want to, you can
> also leave them floating. Both ways work.
>
> By two for $39.50 each, throw in about $15 for shipping, and you are under
> $100 for an almost perfect 10KV RMS 300ma *open frame* NO TAR transformer
> for your Tesla coil.
>
> The really daring among you can figure out other combinations of these
> transformers, I am sure.
>
> Part Number TM92XFR2019  5KV 300ma Transformer  $39.50 each
>
> Herbach and Rademan
> 18 Canal St.
> P.O. Box 122
> Bristol, PA  19007-0122
>
> Orders 1-800-848-8001
> Fax 215-788-9577
> Business hours Mon-Fri 8 am - 5pm EST
>
> Ask to be placed on their mailing list!
>
> Hope that this is something useful for all of you. This is not exactly a
> pole pig, but two of these will deliver 3,000 VA at continuous duty. Not
> bad!
>
> Fr. Tom McGahee

Fr. Tom,

These sound too good to be true.  I'd like you to check them closely.
They sound exactly like a surplus photocopier transformer that is
*out there* which has a motor run type capacitor hanging off of it
attached to a resonating winding, making these transformers a ferroresonant
device.  Ed Wingate has reported to me that he has tried these and that he has
found them totally unsuitable for use in a Tesla coil power supply.

Whether or not your find is the same batch as these ferroresonant
puppies, I myself would be curious to know how well a series pair (or
4 off of 230 volts) operate without (or with if necessary) primary current
limiting ballast in a Jacob's Ladder application.

Inquiring minds want to know! : )  Thank's for sharing your find.

rwstephens

-- END included message