Date: Sun, 02 Mar 1997 19:20:21 GMT
From: Robert Michaels <robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: - Re: OLD Tubes/Coils

T>you said:
T>                 Under-run the filament somewhat
T>                (say 10%) - the life will be greatly increased
T>                (I believe filament life goes as the inverse of
T>                the =fifth power= of the voltage if I remember
T>                correctly  [maybe only the =fourth= -- it's
T>                a big factor] )
T>[Bill]  According to the GE light bulb book, it's the 13th power for lamp
T>filaments (life/rated life to rated volts/applied volts), I don't see why
T>tubes should be different.  That makes your case even stronger

        Yes, thank you!  You're right - the principle are identical.

        It's the =brightness= which goes as inverse of the fourth
        power.

        This is the basis for the so-called "long-life" bulbs sold
        in the U.S.:  Rather than being designed for 120-volts, they
        are designed for 135 or 150 volts.  The brightness goes down
        somewhat (4th power) but the life increases a whole lot
        (13th power).

                                En -lightened- ly yours,

                                Robert Michaels