[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

laser power supply (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 19:51:00 -0800
From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: laser power supply

A few weeks ago I found a laser power supply at the scrap yard.  Today I
removed the top cover and looked inside.  It has a transformer that looks
something like a flyback transformer.  Most transformers have E shape
laminates.  This transformer is U shaped.  The primary is about 20 turns of
#16 THHN red wire.  The secondary is several 1000 turns of about #28 wire
wound on a PVC pipe core with polyethylene between each layer of wire.  The
transformer is suspended in oil.  I put the cover on and connected 12 volts
AC to the primary and got a nice 1/2" long arc from the high voltage
terminals.

This gives me an idea.  If I can find some U shape transformer laminates to
build a high voltage transformer about 2000 watts or so I am going to build
my own transformer and put it in oil.

Does anyone know how many turns of wire is on a 120 volt AC primary winding?

About 20 year ago I collected several 100 transformers from old TV's and
other stuff.  I rewound many transformers by hand to get the voltage and
current ratings I wanted.  I noticed that if a transformer was 25 watts or
1000 watts the primary windings always had about the same number of turns
within about 5 turns.  I have forgetton how many turns of wire is on a 120
volt AC primary transformer coil. Does anyone know?

Gary Weaver