[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New sparkgap

From: 	Bert Hickman[SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, June 26, 1997 9:25 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: New sparkgap

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
<SNIP>

Richard,

The second approach you've proposed is really quite clever! However, the
flexible material would need to be heat resistant, have high insulating
capability, and yet be flexible enough to be rolled into a circle.
Polyethylene wouldn't do it, since it softens at rather low
temperatures. Thin sheets of G10 or Kapton sheeting might work however.
Every now and then I run into thin insulating materials for sale at
hamfests (typically for flex-circuit work). The idea of using an
adjustable diameter sounds like a new idea... congratulations!

Fr. McGahee also has recently developed a very interesting adjustable
static gap design using copper pipes arranged in adjustable
parallelograms. This system, or even an in-line fixed vacuum gap will
have better quenching capability they both use a high power vacuum
cleaner motor to pull in cooling air through the variable gaps.

Safe coilin' to you, Richard!

-- Bert H --