[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: split toroid

From: 	Robert W. Stephens[SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, June 22, 1997 9:07 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: split toroid

Dan,

If you are thinking that by leaving a gap between your toroid halves
the entire insdide surface will suddenly become available as surface
area to add to the outside and give nearly double the total
capacitance, then you are unfortunately wrong.  The inside is completely
shielded and enclosed by a faraday cage preventing it to function in an
additive way to the capacitance of the toroid.  You will actually
measure a fractional increase as you pull the two halves apart, but
this is due to end effect, where up to a certain point, the distance
you've pulled the toroid halves apart, will electrically look like
they are still a solid metal sheet.

rwstephens