[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Mini Coils

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, June 22, 1997 5:27 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: More Mini Coils

Hi Ed, all,

My explanation: ion buildup at the terminal. The swing isn't going to
swing at any great height for long once a discharge pours off the
top is it? Consider how exact the phasing of successive primary shots
would have to be and how high the break rate would have to be for the
secondary to be swung up in the manner you suggest. I tried doing
this once using MOSFETs driven by a precision pulse generator in place
of the gap. Break rates in the thousands + some very accurate pulse
width setting was required, and that was with next to no loading.
Compare the use of such an instrument with the typical firing
precision of a spark gap.

Malcolm