[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil Efficiency (Bad)

From: 	Julian Green[SMTP:julian-at-glosilk.demon.co.uk]
Sent: 	Sunday, June 01, 1997 5:03 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Coil Efficiency

----------

Not having much luck with my coil and effeciency is terrible!

My coil is now powered by a pole pig and draws 20A at 240v thats 4800VA!
And all I get is a miserable 3' spark.  The tune is OK as adjustments of
the primary plus/minus one turn result in shorter spark length.

I have had longer sparks than this from the coil before the rotary spark
gap broke, but still not as long as I would like.   Its the darn spark
gap that gives me trouble.

One point of interest though, I am running my pole pig without balast and
I am achieving 'smooth' running.   I put this down to my spark gap which
is built around a 10,000 rpm motor.   The rotor on the gap has only two
electrodes mounted on a 6" disk.   Only when I run the motor at maximum
speed do I get this smooth running, with lower speeds loud bangs and blown
fuses result.   Have others tried fast motors and few electrodes on their
spark gaps?

Questions:

Is the apparant high VA a result of 'out of phase' amps and volts?  If I
added some PFC capacitors would this help.

Is the spark gap quenching well enough?  If not then how do I tell?  I
have a scope and I remember a thread on monitoring quenching using a scope.
Can anyone recall how this can be done?

Julian Green