[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: split toroid

From: 	Dan Kline[SMTP:ntesla-at-vishnu.csd.sc.edu]
Sent: 	Thursday, June 19, 1997 9:14 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	split toroid

Hi all,
I have a toroid question:
I'm making a toroid out of two toroid-halves, sorta, like if one was to cut
a bagel in half, and I'm putting those two halves together to make a toroid.
The question is, should I join the two halves around the outside
perimieter, or should I leave the outside perimeter separated?
If capacitance is a function of surface area, then not joining the outside
perimeter would increase the capacitance, wouldn't it?
In other words, I'd have a toroid with a split all the way around the
outside edge, with an inside surface and an outside surface, rather than a
joined perimeter, with only an outside surface.

I hope that's not too unclear...

Dan