[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "6 Pack" Cap questions

Subject:   Re: "6 Pack" Cap questions
  Date:    Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:32:42 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sun, 08 Jun 1997 09:57:42 -0400 Pete Demoreuille
<pbd-at-cybernex-dot-net> wrote;

> How do you measure the capacitance of salt water caps, and the
> approximate breakdown voltage of the arrays?

To measure the breakdown voltage you have to keep increasing the
applied voltage on a sample capacitor until failure occurs. To
measure the capacitance you use the same methods as for any other
capacitor; capacitance meter, put a known inductance in parallel to
it and measure the resonant frequency and then calculate the
capacitance, ect.

> I had an idea if the breakdown was too low, and you don't want
> to put alot in series, could you first coat the outside of the
> bottle with a coat of polurethane, then apply the foil?

The thickness of whatever coating you would apply is going to be so
small that it is only going to increase the breakdown voltage by a
few hundered volts a best! It is a lot easier to switch to a beter
dialectric like polyethylene.

> has anyone tried different materials other than aluminum/tin foil?
> how about anything other than salt water?

The choice of conductor will not effect the capacitance but it will
have some effect on resistive losses. Silver would be the best, then
Copper then Aluminum, ect.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/