[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- My First Tesla Works!

Subject:      RE- My First Tesla Works!
       Date:  Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:47:00 GMT
       From:  robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

        The loudness you describe + breakout suggest less than
        optimal tune.  Did you tune carefully at sharply reduced
        power, before letting her rip?

                Note that opinion differs on how much louder
                the gap is than the main discharge, but it's
                loud!  (like good rock!).

        If the 4-5 damaged turns do  =not=  constitute a shorted
        loop, I'd say forget about it in a coil of this size and
        type and Tesla-on.   (Simply retune to accommodate the change in
        inductance).

        Else, apply Michael's Coffee Table Technique:  Cut off the
        damaged section (save it to use as a leg for a homemade coffee
        table).  Retune everything to accommodate the shortened
        secondary -- yours is a tad longish anyway.

                                - - - - - - -
        Regarding spark length: Is your rf ground absolutely optimal?

        Your spark length isn't too shabby.  Longer sparks have been
        obtained from like equipment, but why not just savor the
        moment for what it is?   (You can try to out-spark Messrs.
        Quick, Hull, Pool, Corum, Cox etc. some other day).

                                        Toasting your success, in --
                                        Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels

T>This IS a Re-Post as it seems it was not recieved by the Tesla List
T>Server! with some minor changes :)

T>Hey There Guys (and gals) my FIRST Tesla Coil Works.
T>After painstakingly long hours of building it It Works!

T>WOW!

T>Well Here are the specs!

T>Power Supply: 12KV 60mA Neon Xfmr.
T>Spark Gap   : 4 bolts in series, cooled by a cooling fan
T>Cap         : Home-Made Salt-Water Caps -at-13.1nF
T>Primary     : 9 Turns 1/4" copper tubing, tapped at 9 (needs more
turns)

T>Seconday    : 4"x13.5" 22Gauge, blue PVC pipe
T>Toroid      :  4"x30" aluminum duct pipe

T>Well. After I have cooled down a bit. Here's my problem.

T>About 1/3 way from the bottom of the winding (secondary) I had a
breakou
T>of corona and it fused about 4-5 turns together. Now, I have no idea
why
T>this has happened or how to fix it.
T>Also, all I get from this TC is about 13"-15" sparks. Is this the
T>maximum I can get from my Tesla?

T>I have noticed that while operating the coil inside the garage. The
T>garage door went wild. I had to unplug it cuz It was getting too
weird.

T>BTW. Is the spark gap supposed to be THAT loud? I thought the output
T>from the Sec. was more powerfull and would make more noise.

T>Does anyone have any suggestions about my coil for improvement?
(except