[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: losses

Subject: Re: losses
  Date:  Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:53:24 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:25:45 -0500 Malcolm wrote;

> <snip>
> > I would think the resistive losses in a capacitor is going to be
> > insignificant, the reactance losses are another story, remember
> > were dealing with A.C.
>
> Um, um, um...  all losses are ultimately resistive aren't they??
> Resistive losses in a cap with unsuitable dielectric can be very
> significant indeed. Gary Weaver posted something on glass vs rolled
> poly recently. I'll also quote Mark Barton who started out with
> beer bottle type caps: "the change when we went from homemade caps to
> commercial was more than subtle with snapping white discharges....".
>     IMHO, _all_ reactive power is lossless (returned to the supply
> if no resistance interposes). Radiation is also modelled as a
> resistive loss.
>
> FWIW,
> Malcolm
>
> > Your also forgetting that inductors also have
> > hysteresis losses.
>
> Which also are resistive.

Malcolm, I understand what you are saying, BUT it is important to use
the proper terminology for each of these losses if we are going to
try and eliminate or reduce them. Lumping them all together and
calling them resistive losses prevents one from understanding the
numerous factors that limit the potential output of our Tesla coils.
I am not being anal retentive when I insist that each type of loss be
given its proper name, I am being accurate in the hope of improving
the art and science of Tesla coil design and construction.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/