[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- panic button

Subject:       Re: RE- panic button
       Date:   Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:47:00 GMT
       From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T>      From:  Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
T>> T>  From: "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
T>> T>there is a switch made for use on jacuzzis where shock hazard is
T>> pretty
T>> T>significant.  The switch is pneumatic - there is a button that you
T>> T>install
T>> T>near the jacuzzi, and then a 1/4 inch plastic hose (like aquarium
air
T>> T>line)
T>> T>that runs to the pump controls.  pressing the button starts/stops
the
T>> T>blowers
T>>
T>>  [ ... ]
T>>
T>>         There's one thing about your idea which I completely dis-
T>>         like:
T>>
T>>                    I wasn't the one who thought of it!
T>>
T>>         My only concerns in implementing it are whether the
pneumatic
T>>         button must pushed  =hard=  to send a proper air pulse
T>>         to the controller;  also how much  of a delay there might be
T>>         between the button-push and the controller's reaction.
T>>
T>>                 With an electrical E-Stop push button, only a
T>>                 delicate touch is necessary to break the normally-
T>>                 closed contacts.   The signal, of course, is sent
T>>                 with electric speed.
T>>
T>>                                         Pushing on, in --
T>>                                         Detroit, USA
T>>
T>>                                         Robert Michaels

T>I have these controls on my spa (Jacuzzi) and they do get a bit dicky
T>after a while, i.e. you have to press it a couple of times to get it
T>work. The other problem I see is that if you have a fairly long length
T>of tubing, pressing the button wouldn't build up enough pressure to
T>trigger the switch.

T>Maybe if one attached a squeeze bulb instead of a button, such as on
T>boat fuel primers, the thing might work better.

        Good idea!!

        I would propose a photographers Air Release -- it's a rubber
        bulb and a long (5-20ft ) thin tube with a fitting
        which fits the cable-release socket on a camera shutter.

        Any really good camera shop should have or be able to get
        such.

        When the bulb is squeezed, a pin is projected from the
        fitting.  It would be trivial to have this pin actuate
        a micro-switch -- and the micro-switch then open one's
        contactor in the Tesla power-transformer primary circuit.
        Else, the air pressure in the tube might be able to
        operate the air switch of a Jacuzzi.

                                     Putting the squeeze on
                                     coiling hazards - in Detroit,USA

                                     Robert Michaels