[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject:      Re: Secondary wire & insulation
       Date:  Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:20:46 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Alfred, all,

> Why people care about the number turns is beyond me since a Tesla
> coil dosen't operate on a turns ratio!

Totally agreed! However, it does operate on an inductance ratio a la
the capacitance ratio (tuning requirement).
     From an analysis I once did, the 1000 turn thing seems to be
about the max turns you can get on former using the typical h/d
ratios of 3 - 4 without the wire becoming too small for the end
frequency. Of course fewer turns of larger wire or spaced winding is
always on but at the cost of inductance. My best "large" coil Q-wise
is a spacewound beast with h/d approaching 4.5. Topload is rather
small as Q trended downward pretty rapidly with a large one for that
particular coil. Q measured 320 on a dry day and about 300 on a damp
one (unvarnished PVC thickwall drainpipe - don't ya love it? :)

Malcolm