[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject:  Re: Secondary wire & insulation
  Date:   Tue, 10 Jun 1997 01:48:14 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

snip

>I do not *specify* wire insulation when I buy wire. I buy what I can get
>when I can get it, just like you do. I have gotten wire at hamfests,
>fleamarkets and surplus stores and anything I have gotten so far works
>just fine *without* spacewinding.
>
>Safe coiling,
>
>Ed Wingate

Same here Ed,

I buy whatever stinkin' junk batch of wire comes down the pike.  Wind it
as
tight as possible to max out the millihenries.  Do some hand waving
tricks
with coupling, figure what the thing can stand by musing over it for a
few
minutes (experience helps) and fire it up!! Seems to work at this end.
have never counted turns!  Ever!  If asked, I have to scurry off to the
wire
tables and coagulate a close approximation.  I have been asked this
question
so often, I now almost never scurry anymore, but say, "I don't know and
don't care how many turns of wire is on the thing."  I think it is safe
say there are extremes I avoid, like a 52" long 3" dia. cardboard carpet
tube tight wound with #38 wire or a 12" long 6" diameter tube space
wound
with #10 wire.   I go for the inductance and that alone based on what I
want
to do with the coil and the setting it is to be used in. I think Ed and
few others realize that the biggest space winding should be just the
insulation distance between adjacent turns.

Richard Hull, TCBOR