[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject:  Re: Secondary wire & insulation
  Date:  Mon, 9 Jun 1997 22:06:47 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997 20:03:51 -0700 (PDT) Edward V. Phillips
<ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu> wrote;

> "Of course the best way is to use a
> lathe (expensive)or make a winding machine."

         Watch out on using the lathe.  It is almost impossible
> to stop in  time when something goes wrong with the winding,
> as it usually does (at least for me).

I'm lucky on that one! My wife bought me an 8 inch EMCO with back
gears and speed control on the head and a magnetic break. That baby
will stop on a dime from 3000 RPM! When I wind coils I set the back
gears to give me the thread pitch I want then I start up the head
slowly and watch as it goes.

> A hand-cranked winder consisting of nothing more than a piece of
> threaded rod mounted in simple bearings (even wood) and end pieces
> which fit the tube work just great.  It only takes an hour or so
> to wind a pretty big coil, and you can't get in trouble.  Particularly
> if you keep pre-cut masking tape handy to hold things in place
> when you have to stop.  Look at some of the TCBOR videos for
> similar arrangement.

How do you space your windings on a jig like that? I mean it has no
longitudinal feed so your going to be holding the wire in your hand.
Not very precise if you ask me. Unless you set it up like a giant
bait casting fishing reel.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/