[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Unusual Capacitor takes life

Subject:  Unusual Capacitor takes life
  Date:   Mon, 09 Jun 1997 13:21:54 -0500
  From:   David Huffman <huffman-at-FNAL.GOV>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi Bert H. & Fellow Coilers,
Many months ago I started a capacitor, this weekend it took its first
cycles of charge.
The capacitor uses 18 ceramic microwave oven bottoms 1/8" thick and
about 10" x 12" for the dielectric. I got them from a surplus store
for $1/ea. Using aluminum flashing for plates and trying the sides
together I ran the leads out the top of a steel box which was silver
soldered together. The whole unit is about 3-1/2" x 14" x 17" and
weights about 30lbs. Oil was added and allowed to stand for a week.
Capacitance is about 16nF.
I placed the capacitor on the only working coil I have and it works
fairly well. The tune is now much sharper and the connections and
spark gap heat up faster, although this may be inconsequential.
The thoughts were that the ceramic would hold off the voltage and
dielectric loss might be low since it is used in a microwave.
At some point I will build a poly cap and make a comparison with this
unique device.
Dave Huffman