[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60 vs. 30 ma

Subject:      Re: 60 vs. 30 ma
       Date:  Mon, 9 Jun 1997 09:52:19 +1200
       From: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

A few comments.....

> If I have a well-operating coil using a 12KV/30ma neon transformer, and
> I replace that transformer with a 12KV/60ma transformer:
>
> 1.  To take best advantage of the 60ma, should I change the torroid size
> and/or change the primary tap location?  (assume the .005uF cap value
> won't change)

You would have to up the BPS to get more power in I would think.

> I think I read that by using a larger torroid, a smaller cap could be
> used.  Therefore, if I use a 60ma transformer (which would normally call
> for about a .01 cap), I could get away with using the original .005 cap
> by using a larger torroid.  Is that correct?

Output voltage production would suffer. IMO total secondary
capacitance should roughly track primary capacitance according to
some ratio (I'd dearly love to determine). If the primary bang size
is not great enough for the heavy Ctop, the coil might never break
out.

> 2. After changing the torroid size and/or primary tap, what increase in
> spark length should I expect as a result of moving up to 60ma?

Probably not a great deal unless the gap quench is extra good (to
allow multiple cap charges per mains cycle).

> 3.  If I changed only the primary tap location (if that would help) and
> did NOT change the torroid size, what increase in spark length should I
> expect as a result of moving up to 60ma?

You would be seriously out of tune IMO.

More power,
Malcolm