[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another first coil story

Subject:    Re: Another first coil story
      Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 22:07:29 +1000
      From: Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
        To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Another first coil story
>   Date:   Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:02:55, -0500
>   From:   RSNV02D-at-prodigy-dot-com ( MATT MCARTHUR)
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

 My primary is made

> out of 1/4 inch copper tubing, 7" diameter, 5" tall. The secondary is
>
> 3 1/2" PVC pipe, approx 12 1/4" long with about 500 windings of .025"
>

> just read a post that said something about the secondary for lower
> powered
> coils being 1 1/2" ABOVE the primary to enhance the coupling.
>

>          --Matt

I agree with you, I think your coupling is too loose. Most people on
this list seem to be using either flat or conical spiral primaries
(including me). I believe the posts about the secondary being 1 1/2"
above the primary refer to spiral primaries that start only an inch or
two larger in diameter than the secondary. My coil actually seems to
work best when I have the (conical) primary one inch below the
secondary. My secondary is 3.5" diameter also and my primary goes from
5" to about 15".

Also a much larger toroid would improve your performance also.

Cheers,

Peter E.