Short circuit

Subject:  Short circuit
  Date:  Thu, 5 Jun 1997 18:09:23 -0700 (PDT)
  From:  gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
    To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

While running my 1350 watt Tesla Coil today something very strange
The ON/OFF switch shorted itself closed and I could not turn the Tesla
off. I tried the switch several times and it refused to turn off.  I
walked a few steps to unplug the cord from the wall when it suddenly
on the side of the cord about 2" from the plug.  The arc turned into a
hissing ball of fire.  For several seconds the Tesla Coil was still
sparks and the extension cord was arcing also.  I unplugged the cord and
found the copper wires were melted and burned in half on the cord.  I
high voltage can do strange things but never had this happen before.  If
only the switch had gone bad or only the cord had fried I would guess it
died of old age.  But 2 things fried within seconds of each other makes
think it was caused by something.  Has anyone ever had something like

Gary Weaver