[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA

Subject:     Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA
      Date:  Thu, 05 Jun 1997 03:52:35 GMT
      From:  jim.fosse-at-bjt-dot-net (Jim Fosse)
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Subject:      10KV RMS -at- 300MA
>       Date:  Fri, 30 May 1997 14:53:28 -0700
>       From:  Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
>         To:  tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Hi All but especially owners of the H&R 5kv-at-300ma transformers
>
>I will not take up space by reiterating the design of the TC I built to
>test the H&R trannies. Final results with the TC are that it develops
>66" discharges using a .08uf primary cap, a sync rotary break, and no
>other resonant caps. The input for 66" discharges is 90v and about 17A
>(read on an iron vane ammeter). This thing is quenching at first notch.
>Have not measured k. Higher input voltages exceed the 5kv settings of
>the safety gaps and therefore are not usable.

Skip,
        No Flames, except those we want;)

Comments from the "peanut" gallery follow:)

I don't think that you are doing badly with this setup:

        90V -at- 17A = 1.5kVA for 66" !!!

I'm only getting 60" with my async-rotary based TC using 220V -at- ~20A
4.4kVA from a westinghouse 10+ LL-65 pig!  I could just barely slide
that pig down a ramp from my LandCruiser onto the garage floor without
bursting a favorite body part.  At 66", I'll move your H&R 'former any
time.

        Regards,

        jim