[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject:   Re: Secondary wire & insulation
  Date:    Wed, 04 Jun 1997 08:24:04 Eastern Daylight Time
  From:    "Mad Coile{" <ts5815-at-devrycols.edu>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Subject:  Secondary wire & insulation
>  Date:   Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:48:58 +0500
>  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>On Fri, 30 May 1997 20:41:09 -0500 Rick Holland
><rickh-at-ghg-dot-net> wrote;
>
>> Be careful here. You can also get bare copper wire (with no coating at
>> all) from hardware and hobby stores. This wire has many uses, but would
>> be extremely difficult to use in Tesla applications.
>
>   Begging to differ here, most small commercial induction coils were
>wound with bare wire and many a tesla coil have too, you just have to
>space the wire and that is easily accomplished by making a loop of
>thread the same thickness as the wire you are using and put a 1/4 to
>1/2 oz. fishing sinker on the loop and wind the coil with the loop
>between turns it will keep the spaceing. The insulation on the wires
>is realy insignificant on most tesla coils and merely serves the
>purpose of keeping the space between the turns, it is the spacing of
>the wires and the several coats of polyurethane that are the actual
>insulation. I and most people I have talked to that were fortunate to
>have wound both double cotton coated wire and enamel coated have fond
>the double cotton coated wire to yield better coils, this I attribute
>to the cotton holding a larger amount of polyurethane between the
>turns thus insulating the coil better. As a mater of fact to quote
>Thomas Stanley Curtis in his "High Frequency Apparatus" he states;
>
>       "The conductor for the secondary windings of all types of
>    oscillation transformers should be of soft, pure copper wire.
>    The insulation may be of cotton or silk but NOT of enamel. The
>    use of the later for high frequency secondaries has given the
>    author great dissapointment in the construction of several large
>    and comparatively expensive coils. The insulation on the wire is
>    of no value whatever except to provide a mechanical separation
>    for the turns of wire and to form a base or support for whatever
>    insulating substance is applied to the wire subsequenty."

Alfred, are you suggesting bare copper wire? What kind of wire has
everyone had the best results with? - I am assuming mag wire. I thought
Tesla coils needed a good number of turns/inch and to be tightly wound.
The use of insulated wire other than mag wire seems to go against this.
Would appreciate any clarifications.

T.Stewart