[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power (II)

Subject:      Re: Power (II)
       Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:40:18 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi DWP, all,

<snip>
> >        Measure the input voltage and current to the Tesla coil
> >        power transformer (neon, OBIT, pig, etc.) and let it go
> >        at that.
>         Respectfully disagree.
>         Primary design, Secondary design (wire ga), GAP DESIGN and
>         CAP DESIGN all critically effect how much of the 'input power'
>         get turned into 'output'.  (lets not start on wqhat the
>         'output' is.  8)>>).
>
>         There have been several exceelent descriptions and measurements
>         of more efficient (long sparks, low input power) coils.
>         (I would hate to see the list degenerate to 'my coils better
>         than yours, yaddayaddayadda, but soem ARE better users of
>         power.)

I have to say  a resounding "hear hear" to that statement. I have
done some calcs during the coil charting exercise using optimistic
figures for Vp and BPS and then comparing those with stated input
power. The huge variation in some of the coils suggests that in many
cases either (a) input power was measured incorrectly, or (b) not
measured at all. But some coils definitely do a lot better than
others. I hope to have a condensation of some of these figures when
time permits.

Malcolm