[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Tesla's capacitors

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, July 30, 1997 8:30 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Tesla's capacitors

At 11:32 PM 7/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

At the time of Tesla's Colorado adventure he had super big bucks given him
by John Jacob Astor to finance the expedition.  He spent thousands of 1899
bucks on balloons he never used once in Colorado.  A few hundred on Mica
caps would not had made him flinch, especially as regards his masterpiece in
Colorado.  He just chose salt water caps for repair purposes!

 He knew he would be killing caps in Colorado.  He also knew that Colorado
was not a Mecca for cutting edge electrical supplies.  He built for instant
repair in a hostile environment with only the simplest and readily at hand
materials.  Micas, when blown, are just not repairable! (at least by Tesla's
construction methods.)

Mica in V1 grade (best) is still no real match for junk grade polypropylene
except as regards volumetric efficiency.  I have worked with the stuff
extensively and it sucks compared to modern polymers for use in disruptively
discharged Tesla systems.

Richard Hull, TCBOR