[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New pictures

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, July 28, 1997 1:07 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: New pictures

--------------------- big snip

>Bert Pool
>TCBFW
>bertpool-at-flash-dot-net

  Bert -

 Comparing the classical coil with the magnifier would not be easy. However,
to make the comparison you only have to find the energy in and the energy
out of both the classical coil and the magnifier. What is in between the
energy in and out would be an optimum classical coil and an optimum
magnifier for the energy in. It is the energy in and out that is important.
I understand that Richard Hull and maybe others have made this comparison
with their coils but I have not seen details.

  The theoretical short circuit capacity of a pole type transformer (not
neon) is

      KVAshort = KVArating/%impedance

  Your 2 KVA pole transformer would be about 1.5% impedance so

      KVAshort = 2/.015 =133 KVA

  This assumes an infinite electrical capacity at the transformer primary.
It also assumes it will do this just before it blows up. The electrical
service from the street for a typical home would give about 12 times the 2
KVA on short circuit or 24 KVA at 240 volts. Your electric service fuse or
breaker should be at least 200 amps. You may get a call from the electric
utility about the cost of replacing the fuse at the pole outside your home.

  It is obvious from the above that the actual KVA from a pole type
transformer can vary a great deal from the nameplate rating. The actual
amount will depend on the current limiting device. This is not true for neon
transformers which have completely different short circuit characteristics
with Tesla coil operation.

  Good luck with your Tesla coil building.

  John Couture