[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: additional transformers

From: 	Damon Burke[SMTP:damon-at-portal.stwing.upenn.edu]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 22, 1997 6:40 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	additional transformers

I recently aquired a second transformer to provider more power for my
tesla coil.  I believe that the transformers should be hooked up in
parallel, but i'm worried about the phasing.  The transformers are
identical in design.. both are neons with the primary side connections on
one side and the case grounding connection on the other.  Am I safe to
assume that the identical sides are in phase with each other?

Another problem I have is my capicator.  I'm on a rather limited budget,
and I'm trying to work on a capicator that's fairly easy to build yet
works well.  I currently have a box that holds three pieces of glass with
aluminum foil on each side.  The sides are connected to the outside
terminals with 8 gauge wire.  I was told that the glass caps are the
biggest loss in my coil, and have been thinking of a better capicator.  If
anyone out there has any great ideas for easy to make capicators, please
let me know.  I've seen discussions of beer bottle caps, but
nothing specific enough to give directions as to how to build.  Another
thing, how do you connect the wired to the plates without a: creating a
gap in the stack and b: creating a potential location for arcing around
the plates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Damon
EP-at-ERAU