[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power versus Spark Length

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 15, 1997 5:32 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Power versus Spark Length

Matthias Andersson wrote:

> This 5.1 MW coil, is it something that someone is going to build
> or....?
> Just curious because that would be one heck of a system!!

No, I doubt that it would ever be built, it is just a coil that
I designed when the DOE started sending their engineers to
'project management' classes, in order to reduce waste <smiley>.

Each engineer had to choose a 20 to 50 man-year project and
calculate the various schedules, Gantt charts, WBS and cost
breakdown structures.  I chose to build a twin coil system whose
size was right at the upper practical design limit.

Here are some numbers that dropped out of the design set:

Tower Dimensions
  Total Height - 85 feet
  Diameter     - 22 feet
  Total Weight - 48500 lbs, per tower
  Toroid Size  - 12 feet high, 44 feet OD

Power Consumption  - 5.1 MW at 380 PPS

Mains Requirements - 12470V 3PH DELTA, 275A, 0.9PF

Output Arc Length  - 270 feet

WBS Total - 45 man-year(non-contract), 27 months project duration
CBS Total - 3700 k$

Funny, I seemed to be the only one that was enjoying the project
management class!  I don't personally know anyone who is both
crazy and rich enough to fund such a thing; but surely I would
drop everything I'm doing now, to work on such a project.

-GL