[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: neon vs. potential transformer

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, July 14, 1997 1:23 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: neon vs. potential transformer

At 01:26 PM 7/13/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  John -

  Your experiments with TC wattage vs spark length are very important
because there is little of this type of research that has been done for
Tesla coils. I hope you will continue with this work and let us know of your
progress. In the past thousands of Tesla coils have been incorrectly tested
for wattage vs spark length because they were tested without considering
energy in vs energy out.

  Don't forget when you are comparing different types of transformers and
using efficiency and power vs spark length that the energy equation must be
balanced. This means you must know the true wattage and time (energy) plus
the controlled spark length (total energy output).

  Note that different types of transformers produce different waveshapes
when the secondary is shorted as in TC operation. That means the di/dt
(quenching) varies and this has a great effect on the spark length. The
power factor must also be taken into consideration for both the input and
output. Dave Sharpe's meter looks like a good bet. There are other ways to
make this test as I show in the TCC Guide.

  Several years ago I made a graph showing TC wattage vs spark length based
on empirical data that I had collected from my tests and from other coilers.
Because this data was sporadic and from older coils my graph needs to be
updated. It has, however, appeared to work good with new coils when the
correct wattage and controlled spark length are used.

  Do I understand that your 15 KV 30 and 60 ma neons were rewired for Tesla
work? Did you ever try to compare their quenching with standard neons and
the potential transformer? What are the details of your TC secondary coil?

  What do you think of the more than one charge (increasing wattage) per spark?

  John Couture