[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass capacitors

From: 	SelfDestruct[SMTP:nin-at-fishnet-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 01, 1997 7:47 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Glass capacitors

I am a beginning coiler and could use some help with what for most of
you is probably a very basic problem.

    I recently built some simple capacitors using glass bottles and for
some reason they refuse to work.  Here are the specs:
    1st "plate": 10" bolt attached to bottle cap, suspended in
non-iodized saline solution
    2nd "plate": aluminum foil wrapped around cylindrical and bottom
portions of bottle - the wrapping job is kind of shoddy, with creases in
the foil.  Could this be the source of the problem?
    The top portion of the bottle is filled with 2-stroke motor oil
instead of regular automotive
oil- does this make a difference?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.