[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: WTB TC coil - small.

>>Perhaps I am lazy but....
>>After many attempts to build a small TC I am about to give up. I guess
>>my workshop skills are just not up to scratch.
>>I was wondering if anyone had a surplus small TC that they would like
>>to  part with for a reasonable sum? I know that this is cheating, but
>>perhaps with a working model in front of me I will find the inspiration
>>to continue.
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>>Russell.
>>rwt-at-ozemail-dot-com.au

Heck you don't need workshop skills just to get some sparks.  I made a coil
once by hanging the primary off the top of the secondary with fishing line.
It would bounce up and down like a spring when touched!  The secondary
itself was just a few hundred turns of insulated #22 wire, and the rest was
kludged together out of wire and stuff that was in my junk box.  The
sparkgap was just three pieces of old pipe.  I was sort of bored one night
and put it together in my kitchen.  The entire thing, including secondary
winding, only took a few hours.   This coil put out a nice loud 10" spark
with a tiny neon, and lots of pots and pans piled on top of the secondary.
It was truly a funny sight, and got disassembled three days later (I needed
my kitchen back!).  The thing is,  if you get too bogged down in the
details, you may never get anywhere.  You don't need nice primary holders,
sealed secondaries, fancy gaps and such just to get sparks.   Just wind
some wire on a tube and play around with it.  My current "big" coil is a
mess!

Yeah I know, you want a coil not a pep talk, but I sure hope you'll stick
with it.  Once you get some sparks you'll be hooked.  Good luck!

Charles Brush
http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush