[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire types

- snip -

<< Nathan,

 Not "magnetic wire" - "magnet wire". Common magnet wire is solid copper
 wire coated with one or more thin layers of an insulating material. For
 coiling, you'll want to use double Formvar, Nyleze, Imideze (ML), or
 armored polythermaleze (APTZ) insulated wire to withstand the voltage
 stress. Using 20 AWG is fine as long as you end up with somewhere
 between 400 - 1000 turns. Smaller coils typically run with 22 - 26
 gauge. Your coilform length-to-height ratio should not exceed 6:1 for
 smaller diameter (2-3") coils.

 You'll need to calculate how much wire (in pounds) you'll need. Use Dave
 Huffman or Ed Sonderman's recently provided resonator and Tesla Coil
 design tools to calculate this for you - you'll want a _continuous_
 length so you don't need to make any splices. Magnet wire is sold by the
 pound, and typically you can get it relatively inexpensively at motor or
 transformer rewinding outfits. Wind the coil as smoothly and closely as
 you can. The best bet is to take some time and make a little holder
 beforehand that allows you to hold the coilform horizontally and rotate
 it as you carefully wind it. This will also allow you to easily later
 coat the completed coil with whatever protective covering you choose.

 Safe coilin' to you, Nathan!

 -- Bert --

Nathan,

I ordered my 22 guage wire from Joe at The Coax Connection.  His address is
The Coax Connection  10 S. 226 Meadow Ln.  Naperville, IL  60564.  He has
lots of magnet wire, high voltage wire, etc.  I also bought some RG213 from
him for high voltage hook up wire.  Good prices and fast service.

I ordered my 28 guage wire for my small coil from Mouser Electronics
(1-800-346-6873).  Their prices are higher.

Ed Sonderman