[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: wife

At 11:16 PM 1/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Tue Jan 28 23:12:34 1997
>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:49:47 -0800
>From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: wife
>
>My wife ask me a question about tesla coils today that I can not answer. So I
>have decided to ask this question and find out.
>
>Are there any women that have a tesla coil or build tesla coils or are men
>the only ones that like tesla coils?
>
>Gary Weaver
>
>Gary,

Active Tesla coil building and research is an exclusive "boys club".  I have
had only one female (girl) write or order tapes over the 8 years that I have
offered them and then this was for a Science fair project.  I have attended
conferences and symposia and 100% of the women were hangers-on, wives, girl
friends, geek groupies, etc.

Our own resident practicing physicist Kim Goins (naval research labs) has
never built a coil but is extremely scientific and a one of a kind sort.
She dispises and spurns the life sciences which she derides as the only
haven for "dippy females" in science.  She has yet to meet a committed
fellow female in the "hard sciences".  Most female colleages she claims are
in it for the bucks and are "nine to fivers".

She is most outspoken and the only female I have ever met who seems totally
comitted 24 hours a day and "given over" to science.  She is a walking
physics reference book for the rest of us in the TCBOR.

I am sure there are other women actively involved but they are secreted away
from the main stream, as is Kim.

Richard Hull, TCBOR