[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire types

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: randyl-at-ronan-dot-net Mon Jan 27 22:04:39 1997
> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 00:35:05 -0600
> From: Nathan Lamphere <randyl-at-ronan-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Secondary wire types
>
> Howdy to all-
>
> Ok, now that I have figured out what kind of components I need to use
> (Thanks to those who have helped get me this far)  I need to figure out
> one more item and then construction of my first coil can begin :)
>
> I have seen several posts about using magnetic wire for the secondary
> wiring - my question is this:  should a person use only magnetic wire or
> can you use other types?  What is the best?  I am using 20 gauge in my
> design.
>
> Also, when winding, I assume I am going to have to use several spools of
> wire (or does a person need to get one large continuous spool of wire?)
> - can I just solder the end of the one wire from one spool to the wire
> of the next spool and then keep winding?  Or, is there a different
> method that I need to follow?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Nathan
> --
> Nathan Lamphere
> http://www.ronan-dot-net/~randyl/nfolder/nathan.html
> Javascripts: WebPageMaker - easily create your own webpage right online!

Hello Nathan:
	The wire type that I would guess over 95% of the coils discussed to
date on the list use is Magnet Wire.  I would recommend trying to avoid
making a splice in your winding--it has been done, but there's a path to
take that should resolve several of your problems at the same time.  I
would suggest obtaining your wire from a motor repair/rewind shop.  Just
break out the yellow pages and look up the one closest to you and give
them a call.  You better determine the number of pounds of wire you will
need for your project.  Just  for information, the #20 you mentioned has
318 feet per pound, that should get you started.  The wire rolls
produced for the industrial area in motor or transformer winding
normally start at 80 pounds and go up from there.  Yea, there are
smaller one's too and the real little ones with just 50-200 feet on
them, but a rewind shop would typically use the 80 lb. rolls, or
bigger.  Hope they are willing to sell you the few pounds you would
need, good luck!

Chuck