[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Wed Jan  1 09:58:06 1997
> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 20:02:08 -0800
> From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Toroid
>
> Can anyone tell me where to get a good factory made toroid or how to make a
> good one.  I have several but they all are made with 4" flexable dryer hose
> and aluminum foil, stove pipe elbows, basket ball with aluminum foil.  The
> sharp edges cause arcing before the toroid can reach a full charge.  I know
> the toroid on the Tesla Coil works like the sphere on a Van DeGraff.  If I
> can stop the premature arcs the arcs will be longer and more powerful.
> Information Unlimited has a 3" by 12" for $100. which seem small to me.  I
> could make one on the lathe from a piece of solid aluminum but it would weigh
> 400 lbs.  Does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Gary Weaver

Gary,

Four possibilities:
Flexible heavier-gauge aluminum dryer duct (not the foil-thin type, but
the heavier gauge stuff that will stretch and hold its position.
Typically sold in 3 foot lenghts that stretch to about 8 feet. Use
pie-tins or pizza pans for the center.

A stainless steel version of the above. These are more costly, but much
more robust, and are virtually "dent-proof".

Stryofoam wreath forms, acrefully wrapped with aluminum foil adhesive
tape. By carefully smoothing out the tape, you can get a toroid which
looks almost like a spun one!

Spun metal types: Check with Thomas Reagister in the library. Ross
engineering sells them, among others, and sometimes they have an overun
that they'll sell at lower cost. Also, in the latest issue of TCBA, D.
C. Cox is also selling them. 608-356-3647. Be forewarned though, they
ain't cheap!

BTW, other than their really nifty appearance, spun metal toroids really
won't perform any better than the aluminum dryer duct type. I buily a
large 34" x 8" one for my coil using two lengths, two 14" heavy-duty
pizza pans and some PVC pieces for less than $35.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --