[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: repairing Neons

I had four neons fail on me this year.  I repaired all four by carefully
chipping away the tar from the ends of the case with a screwdriver to
expose the secondary wires.  The problem with all four was the secondary
wire arcing to either the case or the core.

After exposing the wires I placed a piece of plastic between the core
and the wire( I've used UHMW, LDPE basically anything I had) then filled
the void with silicone.

I'm sure this method won't work in all cases, but it sure beats soaking
and cleaning.  The mess is minimal and takes about 20 minutes. None of
these have failed since being repaired.

Dave