[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching Tests

<<     John Freau

> The thyratron must necessarily quench after the first half cycle, as a
standard
>thyratron is a _unipolar_ device, and conducts current in one direction
only.
>A standard thyratron will reverse conduct if pushed, but not for very long!
> The anode is not designed for electron emission, and the cathode is not
designed
> for ion bombardment.
>A 'head to toe' arrangement would be required to switch both current
polarities,
>unless a more exotic device was used, such as a 'hollow anode' hydrogen
thyratron
>or a crossatron type switch.
>A standard unit could be used as a switching element in an oscillating TC
primary
> circuit, if the k is 0.6 or greater.

>Richard, how do you have the primary circuit arranged?

>-GL

GL,

Thanks for the info.  Can you give a brief description of the internal and
external design of the hollow anode hydrogen thryratron (how does it
withstand polarity reversals?) and of the crossatron type switch?  Also some
tube model numbers if possible, you never know what might be found at a
hamfest or elsewhere--rare, but who knows?   I'm assuming here that the
hollow anode thyratron is different from a run-of-the-mill hydrogen
thyratron?     Thanks.

John Freau