[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Open Letter

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Open Letter
> Date: Wednesday, January 29, 1997 11:10 PM
>
> Subscriber: kcravens-at-sound-dot-net Wed Jan 29 21:03:05 1997
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:28:51 -0600
> From: kcravens <kcravens-at-sound-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Open Letter
>
> At 11:16 PM 1/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >From: des <des-at-www.ellijay-dot-com>
> >After reading several of Fr. Tom McGahee's posts to this list, and then
> >reading of the book project, I decided that when it is published, this
> >is one book which I will purchase, due to the fact that the author is an
> >articulate individual, (proper spelling, punctuation and grammatical
> >structuring is so sadly lacking of late...) and he has the capacity to
> >take a scientific subject, and take the technese out of it, leaving
> >behind a very understandable description of what is involved.  I say
> >that if we all can contribute, (I'm still putting the finishing touches
> >on my coil, it is not yet in operation, so I have little to contribute,
> >yet...) this book could become the compilation of many people's
> >experience, a comprehensive reference that would make coiling possible
> >for anyone, even the idiots!  And with proper warnings included in the
> >book, even the idiots could coil safely.  My vote is to leave the title
> >as is.
> >
> >doug
>
> DITTO!
> I agree, and think the "content" of the book is more important than the
> title (ya can't judge a book...etc.) I really like the way he explains
> things, and after reading his post on "primaries" am looking forward to
> "simplified" explanations of other components of the TC. I'm sure that
once
> a person is made to see the basic idea behind a complicated system, then
the
> more technical explanations won't be quite so hard to grasp. This idjit
> wants to learn more :o)
>                                      ken cravens

Doug & Ken,
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. It makes me feel like I am
at least attempting to do something that will be useful. I was at first a
little bit upset that people seemed to be focusing more on the stupid name
issue than on anything else, but on reflection, I think I understand that
there was a genuine concern that the name might have a negative effect on
some people. If I can defuse such a possible situation by so simple an act
as changing the name of the Guide, then I am most happy to do so!!

I, too, am concerned first of all for the quality of the content. And that
is where I have to rely on each member to feel free to offer suggestions
and comments and questions and help. Everyone here has something to offer
to this project. Doug and Ken have already provided some useful feedback,
and a pat on the back that goes a long way towards making my day today a
joyful one. I welcome all criticisms, and only ask that we keep it
constructive. The energy that goes into this undertaking is not just my
own. I am keenly aware of the cooperative nature of this thing. And I think
that THAT is one of the things that pleases me most about this project.
Already I have had the opportunity to get to know in some small way a fair
number of the members of this list. And I like very much what I have found
here.

Fr. Tom McGahee