[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 primary coils

<<
> Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Wed Jan  1 21:20:01 1997
 >Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 01:51:56 -0800
> From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: 2 primary coils

 >>I have 3 neons that are 15K at 30 ma and also 3 neons at are 12K at 30 ma.
 I am using the 15K neons connected in parralled for my TC.  I would like to
have some >more power but can not connect the 12K neons in parallel with the
15K neons.

 >I have several primary coils and several secondary coils in my shop.  I was
wondering what would happen if I used what I already have to make 2
completely >seperate power supplies to drive the same secondary coil.

 >I used one 12K neon with a 30 degree helix primary 6" ID by 30" OD 3/8"
copper spaced 3/8" apart.  I used a Richard Quick spark gap 9 copper tubes in
a 4" PVC >pipe with a fan.  One .008 uf rolled poly oil filled capacitor.
 Again too much capacitance but it is all I have.
>snip
>I placed the helix primary on top of the flat primary with a 1" space
between them at the center.  I made sure the power supplies are in phase with
each other so the >primary would not arc to each other.

>>primary.  The secondary wire was about 1/2" from the primary.  I put a
spacer under the secondary and lifted it up 3/4" more.

>I attached the end of the secondary to the 4' long copper ground rod outside
the shop and put a 10" diameter stainless steel bowl on top of the secondary
for the >toriod.

>I turned it on and it is producing 33" arcs from the toroid.   I ran it for
only a short >time.  No problems so far.

 >Has anyone ever tried 2 power supplies and 2 primary coils on the same
>secondary before?

>Gary Weaver

  Gary,
I've never tried this idea, so my answer is speculation:  Seems to me that
with 2 power supplies and two primaries, overall losses will be theoretically
greater than in a normal TC.   Another question is how the spark timing of
the two gaps will affect the secondary.  Most likely, the two gaps will not
fire at the same time, but may fire "close" in time, with the time between
alternate gap firings constantly changing.  My guess is that spark output
would be similar to a single PS/pri of comparible power.

BTW, an article appeared in new issue of TCBA news, in which an experimenter
did something similar, except that he used 3 phase power, and fed each of
three primaries from separate spark gap rotors on one shaft of a sync-gap.
 He compared the performance with that of a system with one pri. and all the
electrodes on one rotor of the sync-gap.  Performance was the same in both
cases.
Happy Coiling,

John Freau